Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Copenhagen.

Last December I got the best birthday present ever - my husband took me to Copenhagen.

We stayed at Hotel Fox, where every room was created by another designer. Very quirky and right in the city centre. From there walked a lot...Copenhagen is ideal for walking.

light object in the lobby of the Fox Hotel/Copenhagen
...light object in the entrance of the Hotel Fox...so beautiful...

lobby Fox Hotel Copenhagen
...the lobby...

carpet/Fox Hotel Copenhagen
...loved the carpet...

our room/Fox Hotel Copenhagen
...door to our room: "Japanese Garden"...

our room, designed by tokidoki
...the room was designed by tokidoki...

our room, designed by tokidoki
...absolutely loved it, but it just had one tiny little lamp and it gets very dark in Copenhagen in December...

sushi restaurant at the Fox Hotel in Copenhagen
...sushi restaurant at Hotel Fox...

Christianshaven/Copenhagen
...we took a stroll through beautiful Christianshavn...

Christianshaven/Copenhagen
...so pretty, it's almost unreal...

the little mermaid
...and of course we had to visit Hans Christian Andersens little mermaid (what you can't see in the picture are 100 Italian tourists taking turns to get a picture with her)...

post box
...just because it was so pretty...

Copenhagen city hall
...Copenhagen city hall - can you see all the woven "jul hjerter"? Apparently they were invented by...Hans Christian Andersen!...

movie theatre in Copenhagen
...the old Palads Bios movie theatre...

And now for the shops!
You can shop to your hearts content in Copenhagen. If you are a regular reader of this blog you know how much I heart Danish designers, so this was like letting a child run wild in a candy store. Wow. I saved a little beforehand and I really bought a lot of stuff. And it was my birthday...so I had to... Actually...I might write another post just about the things I just had to have or wanted to have.

First - my absolute favourite...
Creme de la creme a la Edgar
Creme de la Creme à la Edgar. I was there so many times they probably thought I was a stalker. But it is impossible to take in everything they have in this beautiful shop just by going there once! Clothing for children and women, accessories, christmas decorations, pillows...a lot of handmade, one of a kind things. They are often featured in BolivLiv and other interior magazines.

Right downstairs from Creme de la Creme à la Edgar is Kaiku, they have a huge selection of Marimekko (fabrics!!!), even so it's not a very big shop.

When you follow Kompagnistraede (where Creme de la Creme à la Edgar is) in the direction of the city center (I hope that's right) it turns into Læderstræde. Here you will find Stilleben (beautiful ceramics) and Gronlykke (colorful goods from all over the world).

At the end of Læderstræde you'll get to a square were Illums Bolighus is located. It's a temple to all things design...especially Scandinavian design. More or less right next to it is "The Royal Café". It's the café of the Royal Copenhagen, the Royal Porcelain Factory (Danish: Den kongelige Porcenlæfabrik). Beautiful. When we were there it was so packed we couldn't get a table, but it's well worth a visit.

I can also highly recommend Notre Dame (everything you could possibly need to spurce up your home) and Superlove (clothing and accessories), both on Nörregade.
One thing that surprised me - almost all the shops close at 6 pm.
So if you just go to Copenhagen for one day - go shopping first. ;)

This is just a small selection of what we did and definitely just a small selection of the unique shops in Copenhagen. It's worth a couple of visits, I think and I really would love to go again in summer.

2 comments:

bybjor said...

Hey Bjorke from Holland again. Next time you go to Copenhagen you must visit the laundromat cafe!
http://www.thelaundromatcafe.com
It is the best cafe in town. Best breakfast. Fresh fruit shakes are top!
It is full with the most trendy people and the interior is so great. The streets around the laundromat cafe
( the street is elmegade 15)are allso nice. On the website I see they just opened another laundromat-cafe on the arhusgade. Bjorke

Anke said...

Hi Bjorke, thanks so much for the tip!
I hope this wasn't my last visit to Copenhagen and I will surely check it out next time. I actually was on Elmengade in December (many wonderful small shops...I was too early, most of them were still closed) but I didn't know about the laundromat café.
Hopefully lots of readers will now add to our little Copenhagen guide, too! :) Thanks again!

Followers