Wednesday, March 04, 2009

works in progress.

I'm feeling like a little Victorian lady these days. Sewing by hand and hand quilting are my crafts of choice while listening to audiobooks on my ipod...well maybe not so Victorian after all.... I'm currently working on two pillow cases at the same time using all my Liberty lawn fabric scraps. Everything might look a little too busy right now, but somehow all the patterns come together nicely in the end. Our appartment is mostly furnished in black and white, and patchwork pillows add just the right amount of color.

hexagon paper piecing
I've paper-pieced (is that even a verb?) what felt like a million hexagons to make a round pillow case for a round cushion (duh). I ended up making the pillow itself as well because round pillows are nowhere to be found these days. In Berlin. Can you believe it?

hand quilted liberty fabric
I quilted the front and back of the rectangular pillow case by hand with different colors of embroidery thread. Never thought I would enjoy this as much as I did. To top it all off and make it even more colorful I'll add an applique to one side. Ha!

hand quilted liberty fabric
I love this absolutely crazy pattern...not even sure if these are flowers. It looks like the fabric designer was on recreational drugs while drawing this.


We already have a fair amount of pillows, when we sit on the couch only our heads remain visible. But is there really such a thing as too many pillows?

6 comments:

Yoli said...

They are little umbrellas together! Oh it is gorgeous, you are very talented. I would have sewn my fingers together!

Anke said...

Oh Yoli, you are so very sweet! I'm not talented really - and I actually sewed into my thumb once...with a sewing machine! Not my finest hour and I'm sure the nurse at the hospital thought the same... :)

Allison said...

There is no such thing as too many pillows on a couch... the more the better. It looks like you are going to end up with a really fantastic project. Very nice.

Anke said...

I'm glad you confirmed this, Allison! :) Luckily we don't have any kids (yet) that might get lost under all the pillows...

Freshly Found said...

I loved the paradox of your world - combining the old with the new. It's the kind of thing I love to do too. We have recently started downloading Audio books and so enjoy them! That - combined with some crochet work - Bliss!

Anke said...

Denise - you should try to get hold of the BBC radio 4 plays, superb!

Followers